The mission of Homer A. Plessy Community School is to develop students who think critically and act responsibly as citizens.
Drawing inspiration from our school’s namesake and from the resources of this community, we will provide a stimulating environment that promotes academic excellence as well as an understanding of our shared history and cultures. Our goal is to maximize learning potential and promote development of the whole child. We want our students to mature into whole, healthy people who are confident about their gifts and their place in the world as citizens, who have keen minds and compassionate hearts and who contribute to a world that needs them. We are committed to an academic program that emphasizes a passion for life-long learning.
Our vision for Homer A. Plessy Community School is a school that:
- offers children an opportunity for excellence
- is rooted in the St. Roch, Bywater,St. Claude and Marigny neighborhoods
- has students, teachers, and parents that reflect the racial and cultural diversity of the area
- teaches students about the importance of citizenship and community engagement
- attracts dedicated educators by creating a professional environment in which teachers can develop their full potential
- fosters creative and divergent thinking
- draws on the resources of a community eager to help
- recognizes the importance of meaningful engagement with parents
- serves as a focal point for the community and has a sense of place.